1928 Saint Mary's Road
(formerly the Hearst Art Gallery)
Moraga, CA 94556
The art collection originated in the early part of the 20th century, with the first gallery opening in 1934. The Hearst Art Gallery was built in 1977 with a grant from the Hearst Foundation. The newly expanded Saint Mary's College Museum of Art (formerly the Hearst Art Gallery) was completed in October of 2011. The Museum serves both the Saint Mary's College community and the public.
For thirty-four years, the Gallery has been known for diverse, museum-quality exhibitions, publications and educational programs. The William Keith Collection of 180 paintings by California’s late 19th-Century landscape master highlights the permanent collection of more than 4500 works of art. The first museum on campus was founded in 1934 by Brother Cornelius Braeg, FSC, Keith biographer and art professor. Accredited by the American Association of Museums, the Gallery endeavors to be a significant resource for visual arts education for the Saint Mary’s College community, the greater Bay Area, and well beyond.
Special exhibitions have included a wide range of contemporary, historic, ethnographic, and international subjects, including: Hungarian and Austrian modernist painting, early artists of the Bohemian Club, works from the College’s Andy Warhol collection and Morris Graves collection, 19th-Century Dutch painting, Russian Icons, Mexican retablos, modern Christian art, Hopi ethnographic objects, Navajo textiles, African sculpture, real and imagined landscapes from our Solar System, contemporary African women artists, 20th-Century Vietnamese art, Hubble Space Telescope images, contemporary digital art, and musical instruments from around the world.
Solo exhibitions have spotlighted the work and contributions of such nationally renowned artists as Mark Rothko, Winslow Homer, Ruth Bernhard, Rupert Garcia, Stephen De Staebler, Raymond Saunders, Wayne Thiebaud, Nathan Oliveira, Manuel Neri, Bella Feldman, Sandow Birk, Gregory Kondos, Frank Lobdell, and Carlos Villa.
A rotating selection of William Keith paintings is always on view in the Keith Gallery.