In commemoration of the 60th Anniversary of Cal Poly Pomona's Landscape Architecture Department, we are honoring one of its most celebrated faculty members - Francis H. Dean, FASLA (1922-2003). Dean was a leading figure in postwar landscape architecture. Working in partnership with the firm Eckbo, Dean, Austin and Williams (and its predecessor firms), he demonstrated an outstanding ability to plan and execute projects whose scale ranged from private residences to college and university campuses to regional parks that covered hundreds of square miles.

In 1976, Dean joined the Cal Poly Pomona's Landscape Architecture faculty, and through his teaching and public service, he was a strong advocate for an approach to landscape architecture that drew upon an analytic and creative design process to meet the needs of people while maintaining the overall health and quality of the environment.

The exhibition includes a constructed "environment" that reflects elements of Dean's landscape architectural contributions, designs, models, floorplans, perspectival views, photos and video.

Union Bank Plaza, Bunker Hill, Los Angeles (Figueroa and 4th Street), California, c. 1965.
Preliminary Study - Site Plan. Eckbo, Dean, Austin and Williams (EDAW). Drawing by Francis Dean, EDAW.
Gelatin silver print black and white film photograph by Kent Oppenheimer.
Donated by Francis Dean, Francis Dean Collection. Courtesy of the ENV Archives - Special Collections.